Happy July! We hope a lovely long weekend is in your future, filled with good food, time with your family, and some honest-to-goodness relaxation.
And let’s start things off with a bang, shall we? We love our sauvignon blanc as much as the next girl, but for Fourth of July weekend it seems like a cocktail is in order. And we’ve got a recipe for you! (We don’t pretend to be food or drink bloggers, not for a minute. This cocktail recipe is so easy anyone can do it. Like, I’m pretty sure my six-year-old could mix this one for me if I asked her to, and if she wasn’t feeling petulant.)
Mama Needs a Drink Recipe
- Take whatever fruit is lying around your house about to go bad. In my case, it’s the cherries pictured above, which still look lovely but probably only have about a day until the yucky brown spots set in.
- Mash some of them up with a potato masher or a fork or whatever you can find that’s not dirty.
- Put the mashed-up fruit in a glass with some ice. Bonus points if it’s an actual cocktail glass and not a plastic cup with, like, Shopkins or something printed on the side.
- Add one ounce of vodka. (OK, two ounces. Add two ounces of vodka.)
- Squeeze some lime or lemon in there too, because we all need to avoid scurvy.
- Add some club soda or La Croix water. Probably La Croix, because that stuff is suddenly everywhere these days.
- Add a little additional fruit as a garnish, because damnit, you are fancy.
- Take a picture and put it on Pinterest or Instagram (this step is optional).
Ta-da! Congratulate yourself on being a freaking wizard at the bar. Feel free to take a pitcher of these to your Fourth of July picnic and pass them off as your own.
Also congratulate yourself on not wasting any produce! You are actually doing yourself, your family, and the world a favor by making these cocktails and not wasting food.
Basically you’re the greatest ever.
Cheers to you, Mama.
(You can totally pin this photo that we carefully edited with our iPhones so you don’t even have to bother to snap a shot of your own drink. We are here for you.